This is my second piece for the competition. The competition, which is being held on Facebook and hosted by Passionate about Pastels Group, called for two entries; one which is fairly typical of what we do and something totally different.
What makes this piece atypical for me:
1. I didn’t start with a photo reference.
2. I started with an oil wash for the underpainting.
3. I put a color down that I ended up not liking. So I lifted it out with a paper towel. I liked the shape that it left, and proceeded to lift out more areas of color.
4. I decided what I had left looked like the beginning of a floral piece. I was going to make the round shapes into dandelions that had gone to seed. One day I saw a piece of popcorn, and wondered about popcorn ball flowers. That would be totally different for me. So that is the direction I am now going to proceed with.
5. I approached areas as if doing a “negative” painting.
Don’t know really what I think about it. It was kind of fun to do something I have never done before, however, it doesn’t fit with anything else that I have. Might just gesso over it.
By the way, the other piece that I submitted was the image that I posted in Finished Painting. That was fairly typical for me, but I did try a few things. First of all, I usually avoid buildings. I decided to break the don’t-use-black rule. I think it worked.